Monday, February 2, 2015

Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts is a Perfect Fit

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call as of late, primarily due to the recent release of Chrono Trigger and The World Ends with You DLC. I have just passed the 40,000 Rhythmia mark in addition to the 70,000+ I collected from the first game, yet I feel just as entertained by Theatrhythm as I was when I first played it (if not more so).

I admit almost bashfully that part of the satisfaction I experience is due to the immensely satisfying reward system within the game. I know it seems silly to enjoy unlocking crystal shards, earning gold stars in my record book, and gathering up CollectaCards, but I just can’t help it. The creators did a fantastic job giving me a reason to keep coming back for more tapping, holding, and sliding. But that isn't the only rationale for why I love Theatrhythm, nor is it my primary reason.

Theatrhythm takes music that is both expertly composed and emotionally resonant and creates something new with it.

The music is well-written. They have passionate back stories. And they have the player’s memories to tie it all together. Theatrhythm takes all those elements and reveals them at their maximum potential by allowing players the opportunity to vividly and retroactively experience feelings they had at the climax of a game. Plus it’s fun to tap along.

It’s something I wish I could do with every epic video game moment because quality music is such an instrumental (pun intended) part of that climax. Chrono Cross’s “People Imprisoned by Destiny” and Persona 3’s “Battle for Everyone’s Souls” are perfect examples of songs that I vividly recall experiencing for the first time and would love to relive. And while songs from Chrono Cross are a distinct possibility, it disappoints me to think that I will most likely never play a game like Theatrhythm that utilizes the dynamic, catchy soundtracks of franchises like Persona. But I digress.

Knowing that so much of Theatrhythm’s strength comes from this trifecta of story intricacies, skillfully constructed music, and emotional appeal, I have to make a case for the perfection that could be Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts.

First off, Kingdom Hearts is epic, endearing, and filled with layered narrative. It has a loyal following, beautiful scores by Yoko Shimomura, and—thanks to its prolonged gaps between releases—plenty of nostalgia and emotional appeal. However, this in itself is not enough to make a good argument for its success were it to be made. Fortunately, I have included here several additional reasons why I think Kingdom Hearts could work.


1. A plethora of characters to choose from

Surprisingly, one of the most common criticisms I’ve seen on the web happens to be what I consider one of its greatest strengths. I have seen many forum posts and comments beneath articles stating that Kingdom Hearts simply doesn’t have enough characters to substantially fill the game. I beg to differ.

Including only characters original to the series gives us Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ventus, Terra, Roxas, NaminĂ©, Xion, Axel/Lea, Ansem the Wise, Ansem Seeker of Darkness, Xemnas, Xehanort, The rest of Organization XIII, Data Sora, Data Riku, Vanitas, and Eraqus. The cast could easily be broadened with some of the Disney cast (particularly Mickey, Donald, and Goofy). Some of the more prominent Final Fantasy characters could also add to the mix (including “Leon”, Cloud, Sephiroth, Aerith, etc.). Finally (albeit unlikely), I would include the main five characters from The World Ends with You due to both their involvement in Dream Drop Distance and their Square Enix roots. This would lend itself to a cast of 40+ without even depending on a bunch of Disney characters getting added into the mix.


2. Fantastic music from seven (soon eight) games

Yes, some of the main themes repeat. But there is still an appropriate amount of music to be considered here. Consider the following tracks pulled from the first game alone. Note that (to my knowledge) I didn’t even have to pull any Disney tracks to compile this list. I also believe that the later games actually show a greater diversity in their soundtracks, which would help.
  • Hikari
  • Destiny Islands
  • Kairi’s Theme
  • Night of Fate
  • Destiny’s Force
  • Traverse Town
  • Shrouding Dark Cloud
  • Blast Away III
  • Hollow Bastion
  • Scherzo Di Notte
  • Destati
  • Forze Del Male
  • Always on My Mind
  • Simple and Clean
So from the first game alone, I pulled 14 tracks that stand out quite well. If the same quantity can be pulled from the other six games that are currently released, that would include nearly 100 songs to play. While Curtain Call boasts an impressive 200+ songs, I think it is important to keep in mind that 100 songs from less than half the number of titles is equally remarkable. And keep in mind, Disney tracks could always be included to further satisfy the already excellent selection of music.

Again, since these were only pulled from the first game, there are many impressive pieces that we are missing out on here, many of which are my favorites (looking at you, “Unbreakable Chains”). But I think my point stands that there is in fact more than enough quality music to make a Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts.


3. Easily adapted feature zones

Feature zones are included in each music stage of Theatrhythm as a means to break apart each type of music stage into memorable parts. This also serves to provide players with a particular goal mid-song as they strive to summon powerful allies, ride fast chocobos, or see the extended version of a video mash-up.

The feature zones from each Battle Music Stage (BMS) could be seamlessly implemented into a Kingdom Hearts adaptation through the inclusion of Disney summons as seen in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Instead of Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut (among others), the game would include the familiar likes of Simba, Genie, and Mushu. Another option—if Disney summons seem a bit too small compared to the grand Final Fantasy affairs—would be to implement Sora’s Drive Forms at this point in the stage, allowing him to use Valor, Wisdom, Limit, Master, Final, or Anti Form.

Similarly, Field Music Stages (FMS) could substitute the use of a gummi ship in the feature zone instead of riding a chocobo. The player’s successful input of touch, slide, and hold commands could be the primary factor in determining how grand a gummi ship they receive for the short time they have it. This would easily parallel the various chocobos and their different speeds.

Finally, the Event Music Stages (EMS) could be increased in number due to the sheer quantity of Kingdom Hearts cut scenes, something the Final Fantasy series can’t even compare to. Traditionally, each Final Fantasy title only has one EMS to play through, most likely due to the lack of usable clips from some of the earlier games in the series. However, I roughly calculated the time it would take to watch every cut scene so far that takes place in Sora’s universe, and I came up with a number just over twenty-one hours. Twenty-one hours! Even if my calculations are slightly erroneous, that is an insane amount of footage to pull from. It is easy to conclude from that ridiculously high number that pulling enough iconic clips from across each game would be simple enough; in fact, the creators of a Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts could even include 2 or 3 EMS pieces with ease and still have plenty of extra footage for each feature zone.


4. The possibilities are endless

It is exciting to think of all the possible directions the Theatrhythm franchise could take. I honestly believe Kingdom Hearts would not only be an incredibly enjoyable installment but also a logical one. Whether it be changing the CollectaCards to match the cards found in Chain of Memories, or adapting the Record Book to reflect the feel of Jiminy’s Journal, I can already see how great Theatrhythm would be if it were to accommodate the Kingdom Hearts realm.

What would you expect from a Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts? Leave your ideas and comments below! Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some tapping to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment